Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Mr Darcy's Diary by Amanda Grange














After much neglect, I'm finally getting back on track with the Everything Austen challenge. Hosted by Stephanie, at Stephanie's Written Word, it requires participants to read, view or "experience" six Austen-related books, films etc by January 1, 2010. So I'd better get my skates on!

My progress so far:
Check out my review post for Lost in Austen  by Emma Campbell Webster here.

And now, a review post for Mr Darcy's Diary by Amanda Grange.

This book was pretty much what I expected - a quick enjoyable read, but nothing spectacular. The book consists of a series of diary entries, and faithfully follows the narrative of Pride and Prejudice while also giving us a tantalising glimpse into Darcy and Elizabeth's life after P & P.

I'm not sure that Darcy's voice is true to his character as presented in P & P, but romantics will forgive Grange any licence she has taken in presenting Darcy as a doting brother and a man who is in love with Elizabeth almost from the moment he meets her!

I found the fact that some phrases or passages were quoted verbatim from P & P frustrating. I would have dearly loved Grange to find Darcy's voice to describe the unfolding events rather than using Austen's narrator's ironic voice.

This book is fun for fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...