Sunday, September 5, 2010

My easy, yummy potato bake

Taking a leaf out of Ree Drummond's book (see this post for more) I've decided to share a recipe with you. It's for my absolutely foolproof, easy-peasy, extra yummy potato bake.

This potato bake is always a hit wherever I go with it. It's the perfect accompaniment for barbeques; steak and sausages, salads, and potato bake hit the spot every time.

WARNING: If you like low fat recipes only, then look away now!

First, thinly slice some potatoes. How many? Well it depends on the dish that you're going to make the potato bake in. You will need three layers of potato, so after you've made the first layer you'll have a better idea.


Layer the potato slices carefully in the bottom of an ovenproof baking dish. Don't leave any gaps! I'm using the biggest baking dish I have, because this potato bake is going to a family BBQ at my brother-in-law's.


Next you'll need some bacon. I use middle rashers because they have a nice strip of fat on them that tastes great, but you can use short cut that is a lot less fatty if you like.


Dice up the bacon and fry it until it's nice and brown. It doesn't really matter if it's crispy or not, because it's going to get all soggy in the potato bake later anyway.


Sprinkle half the bacon over your layer of potato. At the same time, sprinkle over some sliced onions. Slicing onions makes me cry, so I cheat and buy them already sliced in the freezer cabinet at the supermarket. Yes I do.




Now carefully add another layer of potato slices. Overlap the slices slightly, so you can't see any of the bacon and onion.


Sprinkle over the other half of the bacon and some more sliced onion.


Now add the third, and final, layer of potato slices.


On the top, sprinkle over a generous helping of grated cheese. I use pre-shredded tasty cheese that I buy at the supermarket. Yes, I'm that lazy.


Now you need to pour over some cream. I used about 800 mL for this one. It should come about half-way up the dish.


Now bake in a moderate oven for an hour and a half. Voila!


If you don't want yours as dark as mine, make sure that you cover it with foil for part of the cooking time.

Now enjoy, and bask in the compliments that you receive!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...