Monday, June 6, 2011

The Fallen Novels by Lauren Kate


Some angels are destined to fall.
Instant. Intense. Weirdly familiar...The moment Luce looks at Daniel she knows she has never felt like this before. Except she can't shake the feeling that she has...and with him - a boy she doesn't remember ever setting eyes on.
Will her attempt to find out why enlighten her - or destroy her?


Love never dies...
It took Lucinda an eternity to find her beloved angel, Daniel. But he waited for her. Now they are forced apart again, to protect Luce form the Outcasts - immortals who want her dead. During their separation, Luce learns about her mysterious past lives. But the more she discovers, the more she suspects that Daniel is hiding something.
What if Daniel's version of the past isn't true? Is it really their destiny to be together? Or is Luce actually meant to be with somebody else?

I absolutely love the cover art used on these books! I must admit that it was a major factor in my decision to buy them. The blurb further intrigued me so I was sold.

The premise of Fallen fascinated me, but the execution disappointed me. I think that the author had a fantastic idea and that she could have done so much better with it. I know, I'm not an author. I have no idea how hard it is to write a novel. Obviously this book has sold a lot of copies. People love it. But for me, Fallen failed to live up to its potential.

I enjoy reading fantasy. A major factor in my enjoyment is the author's ability to create a setting and mythology that results in a fully realised world in which the action takes place. While reading Fallen, I couldn't help feeling that the author had not successfully communicated her vision of the world in which Lucinda and Daniel live. I felt that I had to join a lot of dots myself. In fact, I had to use my intuition so much that I sometimes wondered if the author herself had actually thought it all through. There's nothing that dampens my enjoyment of a book more than wondering if the author actually knows what's going on while I'm reading!

I'd already bought Torment, so I soldiered on. And was pleasantly surprised. Torment was a big improvement on Fallen. I actually felt that the author had gotten her act together and knew where she was going with it!



Passion is due to be released June 14 2011. I'm tempted to buy it simply because I already have the other two and it will complete the set. However I usually only buy books that I really love, and I've got to admit that buying Fallen and Torment was an impulse and a mistake. What to do?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...