Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Has a book ever made you cry? Definitely yes.

Oh dear.

I'm working at the library this week, and while I'm loving the work, I'm finding it dreadfully difficult to fit in everything else I'd like to be doing. Like writing a wonderful blog post to link up with The Broke and the Bookish for Top Ten Tuesday.

Today's list is the Top Ten Books that I had strong emotions over. (Click the link to visit The Broke and the Bookish.)

I like it when a book makes me cry. Or laugh. Or feel gutted and emotionally exhausted.

I think that a book that elicits a strong emotional reaction from me has done its job. 

A good book should make me think deeply about an issue, or allow me to identify strongly with a character. A good book will make me laugh out loud, or will cause me to read excerpts of it aloud to anyone within earshot.

Books that don't effect me strongly are easily forgotten.

I started my list, but I've run out of time to finish it. So here are four books, and I'm looking forward to reading the other lists.

1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J K Rowling.

I'm a tragic Harry Potter fan. I was one of the people that pre-ordered my copy of the book, picked it up on the day it was released, and then locked myself in my bedroom to read it undisturbed.

But. I got most of the way through the book and I had to stop. Tears streaming down my face, I closed the book and went to sleep. I knew I'd be able to face the rest of it in the morning, but I just couldn't face it at that moment.

I don't want to get into spoiler territory here, but I think nearly everyone in the world has either read the book, seen the movie, or both.

Let's just say that when Harry viewed Snape's memories in the pensieve, and knew the enormity of the courage that he would need to face his destiny, I came completely undone.

I read the book aloud to my children, and choked up big time when I got to that scene. My kids looked at me with disbelief as I struggled to get the words out.

2. The Montmaray Journals by Michelle Cooper.

Click here to read my reviews.

Love these books. The narrator's voice is delightful! I must admit that I read many passages aloud to whoever was nearby because they were just so delicious! I love it when I am grinning from ear to ear as I read, so aware of how much I am enjoying the experience.

3. Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater.

Click here to read my review.

This book was a revelation to me. 

It transported me so completely into Grace and Sam's world.

It was so divinely bittersweet.

4. A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini.

Click here to read my review.

This book is a story of suffering that touched my heart and made me thankful for all the good in my life. I found the hardships described absolutely horrifying and harrowing. My respect for people living in oppressive regimes and war zones grew one thousand fold.

Don't forget to visit The Broke and the Bookish to read the other lists.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...