Sunday, January 17, 2010

School Holidays are Coming to a Close...

As a general rule, I'm not a huge fan of the school holidays. I hear lots of others Mums wax lyrical about the wonders of sleeping in, and having no schedule, of just being able to hang around and relax at home with the kids...but for me - not so much.

I tend to thrive on schedule, and the kids and I like to have something in particular to do. Don't get me wrong, I like a good sleep-in as much as the next person; and I'll be the first to admit that I like to do a fair bit of hanging around the house during term time. But there's a big difference between having a nice relaxing day at home reading (on my own), in amongst the hustle and bustle of work and other regular activities, and having days and days on end of hanging around the house with nowhere to go and nothing to do, and nothing scheduled to break the monotony! Yes, I have to admit, I'm one of those horrible mothers who likes her children more when she doesn't have to see them all the time.

I'm looking forward with great anticipation to January 28th, the first day of the new school year! Hooray! What am I looking forward to?

1. School starts! Alana is starting high school, and Joshua is going into Year 4. The start of a new school year is always exciting - finding out who your teacher(s) is(are) and which friends are in your class(es). This year will be extra exciting with Alana starting high school. A new school, new subjects, new friends - a great adventure!

2. I'm back at work. I teach private music lessons and tutor kids that are having trouble with maths. Consequently, the work dries up over the long Christmas/summer school holidays. Everyone takes a break from their music lessons, and waits to see what the new school year brings to decide if they need maths tuition. With the start of the school year, I'll be back at work, and back earning money! Hooray! It's a killer surviving on one wage over the expensive Christmas break.

3. All the kids' after school activities are back on! Hooray! No more cries of "I'm bored" as ballet, gymnastics, baseball and piano lessons re-commence. Bright, energetic kids like mine need things to do.

4. My activities are back on! Hooray! During school terms I attend a couple of tai chi classes, and meet weekly with a friend to swim laps, have a coffee and chat. Bright, energetic mums like me need things to do!

5. It won't be long until first semester at uni begins (March 1). I'm halfway through my Master of Education (Teacher Librarianship), and am looking forward to getting back into it this year. So far, I can't really "get ahead" because I haven't received any information about what is expected for my subjects. However, my textbook should arrive on Thursday, so I'll be able to get started reading it.

So...for all my complaining about school holidays, sometimes the stars align and I end up having a great day. Today the kids and I went to Gosford Regional Gallery and Japanese Gardens. Here are some photos of the kids enjoying the 26-degrees-and-sunshine in the gardens.




Feeding the koi.

Wisteria Walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...