Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Dead in the Family (with pictures of Eric!)

Once upon a time there was a newbie blogger who didn't know much, but knew she loved reading.

While clicking from blog to blog, she discovered Beth Fish Reads. This (primarily) book reviewing blogger was about to host a challenge - the Sookie Stackhouse Reading Challenge.


What was involved in this reading challenge? Simply to read all the books in Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series, post reviews, and link them up.

Well, the newbie blogger thought that it sounded like fun; she'd never read anything by Harris, and thought that the challenge might be a good way to discover some new blogs and make some bloggy friends. And so the journey began...

I've just finished reading Dead in the Family, the latest installment in the series. I guess you can say that I got exactly what I expected.

I love these books, to me they're a fun, slightly trashy read (I mean this in the nicest possible way!) that guarantee a fast moving plot and some hot sex :) They're just right for in bed or in the bath, and I'm sure they'd be equally entertaining at the beach, or on a plane, train or bus!

Ever since jumping on board with the TrueBlood TV series, I have the perfect face (and body!) to put with Eric as I'm reading...



Sorry, where was I?

Anyway...what can I say about Dead in the Family? As usual, Harris throws as much plot and intrigue at the book as possible - a little too much for me to completely understand on my first reading. We have Bill recovering (or not) from silver poisoning and needing an infusion from a blood sibling, Eric's maker arriving in town with an unruly vampire child in tow, and vampires attempting to kill, or at least overthrow Eric to gain power. And that's just the vampires.

In addition, the government is making moves to introduce a werewolf register, and the local pack are having issues. There also seem to be some fairies on the loose, not to mention a fresh body buried on Sookie's land.

When will Sookie ever be able to relax and enjoy a normal life? No, I didn't think so...

This episode explores the idea of a blood bond, the bond that exists between vampires (and their human companions) who exchange blood, in greater detail. And for the first time, Sookie toys with the idea of what it would be like to become a vampire.

It's very difficult to review this book without including spoilers, and to be honest, it's hard to find anything that makes it stand out particularly from any of the other books in the series. I guess that's part of the appeal of reading series fiction, we don't have to work too hard as each of the books is fairly similar to the others.

So, a year on, I have fulfilled the requirements of the Sookie Stackhouse Reading Challenge, have discovered an author that I enjoy, and have "met" many new bloggy buddies. And now I'm off to link up this challenge wrap up post at Beth Fish Reads link page, so I'll leave you with another picture of Eric...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...