Saturday, July 31, 2010

Happy Sunday

We're having glorious weather at my place today! The sun is shining, the sky is blue, and the wind is blowing! Perfect. Now I know that the last bit about the wind might not seem perfect to you, but to me the combination of blue sky, sunshine and windy weather signals loud and clear that SPRING IS COMING! Our wattle tree has started to bloom, and I'm feeling that inner optimism that comes from a change of season.

Alana went to a birthday party last night that had an "Alice in Wonderland/movies that Tim Burton directed" theme.


Yep, I'm a pretty evil mother for posting a picture of her butt on my blog!

You can guess that she decided to go as the white rabbit from Alice in Wonderland. The only problem was that we didn't have a lot of notice about the theme, and it took Alana a while to decide what costume she'd like. The upshot of this was that at 3pm (with the party to start at 6pm) my music students arrived for their lessons and I left Chris to deal with it. Luckily, Chris went into "superdad" mode!

 








Yes - you are not seeing things - Chris actually did a craftshop run and put together a pocket watch from precut mdf circles, gold paint; and he raided the Christmas decorations for a "chain"! Way to go Dad!


Oh yes, and he made the bunny ears from some cardboard and a white feather boa! And the tail.
I contributed by painting the nose and whiskers on Alana's face.

It was quite an adventurous night last night - apart from all the excitement getting the costume together, I decided to use my iPhone to get directions to pick Alana up from the party. Talk about navigation fail! My iPhone attempted to direct me down roads that had been closed and the wrong way down one way streets. There's nothing like driving in the dark peering at the screen of your phone trying to figure out how to get from the flashing blue "you are here" dot to where you actually want to be. Luckily I was driving through quiet residential streets and didn't pose too much of a danger to the public. On the way home I had to drop a friend of Alana's home, so I decided to give the iPhone another chance. I figured that it would be much easier when I had a navigator to read the directions to me, instead of trying to read them myself while driving. Maybe not...Here's my favourite exchange:

Alana: just keep going along this road
Me: I'm at the end of the road
Alana: Oh - you have to turn. It's either left or right, I'm not sure which.

Luckily Alana, her friend Chelsea, and I laughed rather than panicked, and we did eventually make it safely home!

Have a great day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...