Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Minor Identity Crisis

You'll notice that I titled my blog "a reader's random ramblings...". And I meant it.

By using this title, I was trying to convey a few things about me, and about my blog.

Firstly, I'm identifying myself as "a reader". Not a mum, wife, teacher, student, writer, or future librarian, though I am all those things. My identity, as far as this blog goes, is as someone who reads and reads and reads; voraciously and eclectically and enthusiastically. Someone who enjoys reading because I can be transported to another place or time, because I can learn new things, because I can connect with the experiences and knowledge of others, and because reading stimulates me, relaxes me, and makes me feel truly like "me".

Secondly, I'm admitting that I don't really know ahead of time what I'm going to write about. The topics are not pre-determined. The format is not set. I don't pretend to really know what I'm doing.

Thirdly, the ... implies that I'm open to possibilities, and to change. My blog is not static, but evolving.

And that's all been working for me OK. Up until now.

But recently I started wondering whether I'd been blogging long enough now for my blog to have achieved an identity of its own.

Looking down the list of blogs that I follow, there's quite a mix. Lots of book review/literary blogs. Mum blogs, crafty blogs, fashion blogs, inspirational blogs, review/giveaway blogs, writing blogs...

And somehow, because I love all these blogs, I've been allowing myself to try to be all things to all people. My blog has been a little bit of this, and a little bit of that. And I don't think that I've really been doing any of it justice.

So, where does that leave me? I'm not sure, but I'm going to think about what I love to write about the most, and what I write about the best. So stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...