Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Caution: Optimist at Work

On Monday I had an interview for a really great job. It was almost my dream job - at the University Library closest to me working as an Information Services Officer. You can read about my interview experience on my professional learning blog here.

The only thing that wasn't perfect about the job, from my point of view, was the fact that it wasn't a permanent position but rather the opportunity to be placed in a casual pool to fill temporary vacancies as they arose. Not ideal, but a great oportunity for someone like me who needs to gain experience, and a wonderful way to get my foot in the door at a place that I would like to work long term.

Anyway, long story short, I didn't get it. And, optimist that I am, I was surprised! I really thought I'd get it and was already imagining myself in the job.

The Senior Librarian, who was on the interview panel and rang me to let me know that I was unsuccessful, was encouraging. The position, despite being casual, is not really an entry level position. They need casual Librarians who have the experience required to jump straight into work without needing training or support. And that's fair enough.

I have also applied for another position at the same Library which has two things going for it. Firstly, it is a lower level in terms of training and experience required so I am more likely to be successful. Secondly, it is a permanent postion! Yay! So it's all good.

And, guess what! The Senior Librarian who interviewed me is making the short list for this other job and I told her I had applied for it and so now she knows me. I believe that the interview went well and she did say that she enjoyed talking with me, so I'm really hoping that means that I will back there again soon for another interview.

So, yeah, my optimism has not been rocked. And I'm still looking for other positions to apply for. And I really want to get a job before the next school year begins at the end of January, so that's my goal.

How about you? Are you working in your dream job? How long did it take you to find work the last time you were looking?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...