Friday, February 26, 2010

Social Justice Challenge - Water

The topic for February in the Social Justice Challenge is Water.

Access to fresh drinking water is a huge issue in third world countries, but even rich, developed countries suffer from inadequate water supplies due to climate change.

The book that I decided to read for this month is Blue Covenant: The Global Water Crisis and the Coming Battle for the Right to Water by Maude Barlow.

I borrowed this from my local public library. Unfortunately, I just couldn't get through it. It's too heavy going for me.

I did read through the first chapter, "Where has all the water gone?", in which I learnt a lot.

We all learn about the water cycle in school, and I guess we get the impression that because nature recycles water so effectively, it is impossible for us to run out of water. However, we're not factoring in the human potential for waste, pollution, and greed.

I don't think I can adequately explain the issues to you here; I just don't understand them well enough. If you are interested in water sustainability, and can settle in for an intellectually demanding read, I highly recommend this book.



Hopefully I'll do better with March's theme: Domestic Violence and Child Abuse.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...