Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A nifty knitter

I've gone all crafty.

The weather's gone cold and I like a scarf. It's so easy to add a bit of colour and movement to the plainest of outfits by adding a scarf. Not to mention the added advantage of keeping your neck warm.

I've been toying with the idea of knitting myself a scarf for a week or two, but what gave me the final nudge was when Alana got her knitting out.

Alana and her friend had to write and perform a duologue for a school assignment. They wrote a charming and humorous piece featuring two grandmothers discussing how kids have changed since they were young. It featured such lines as "Is that Helen from Bingo?" and "It looks like he won his drivers license in a raffle!". They even had props.

Hence, the knitting.

Seeing the needles and the wool pushed me over the edge. I just had to go and get myself some wool and get knitting!


I will admit, I had to Youtube "casting on knitting" because I'd forgotten how, but I seem to be going swimmingly now.

I'm actually pretty impressed, the brand of wool that I picked up from Big W has a website with lots of patterns. Go here http://www.seansheep.com/ to see for yourself.

Here's the thing. I didn't have the correct size needles at home so I just used the ones I've got. I just figured that when it comes to a scarf, near enough should probably be good enough. Fingers crossed!

The other thing is that the pattern I'm following has me purling and knitting in a pattern which is supposed to make a sort of ribbed pattern down the scarf. It looked good in the picture online. On my scarf, not so much. I'm really trying to count my stitches carefully and I don't think I'm making mistakes. I wonder why I can't see the pattern? Not that I mind too much, I'm not exactly an expert knitter, I'll be glad to have a scarf that turns out the right size and shape! But I am a little bit disappointed that I'm taking the trouble to follow the pattern and nothing's happening. Advice anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...