Friday, July 24, 2009

The End of Recreational Reading as I Know It



...or...Will Club Dead by Charlaine Harris be the last book I read for fun until November???

That's right folks, the party's over. Semester 2 begins on Monday, and I have some serious reading to do. So far I have read 3 out of the 9 titles in the Sookie Stackhouse Reading Challenge. Will I progress any further between now and October 26th, when my last assignment for the semester is due? Only time will tell...

In the meantime, let's talk about Sookie's latest adventures in Club Dead.

Sookie Stackhouse, pretty barmaid, telepath, and girlfriend of vampire Bill, is on a mission. She must visit 'Club Dead', a hangout for vamps, weres and other supernatural creatures, to search for clues as to the mysterious disappearance of Bill. Then, she must rescue Bill from the clutches of an evil vampire ex-girlfriend. All the while dodging biker werewolves, a jealous shape-shifter named Debbie, and two gorgeous men (one vampire, one werewolf) that want to get into her pants. No wonder she's tired...

And I got a bit tired too. A bit tired of Sookie being only inches from death, or dismemberment, or an unwise sexual adventure (!), every few pages. A bit tired of Sookie never spending any time at home, or work, or with humans!

Don't get me wrong, I'm still a fan. I'm still very keen to keep reading my way through the series. I'm still a fan of the supernatural. I'm just ready for an episode that has a bit more balance, and a bit less heart-thumping action. And I don't like it when Sookie's all beat-up and in pain.

I'm interested to hear what others think...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...