Thursday, July 2, 2009

Review - The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen

I loved it.
The Sugar Queen is magical, surprising and thoroughly enjoyable.
From the blurb:
" ...Josey has settled into an uneventful life in her mother's house, her one consolation is the stockpile of sugary treats and paperback romances she escapes to each night...Until she finds her closet harbouring none other than local waitress Della Lee Baker...Fleeing a life of bad luck and big mistakes, Della Lee has decided Josey's clandestine closet is the safest place to crash. In return she's going to change Josey's life - because, clearly, it is not the closet of a happy woman..."
I was concerned that The Sugar Queen would be too sweet for me, but its bittersweet themes of regret, and fear of change, hit just the right note for me.
Josey doesn't start out as the most likable heroine, but she grew on me slowly as the story developed and her narrow existence began to expand. As I read, Josey's personality literally unfolded before me, and I think, before her. The whole novel has a very "present" feel to it. The action seems to be literally happening right now, and I became so involved that I didn't even think of trying to guess what was going to happen next. Perhaps that's why I was just as surprised as Josey by the unexpected twist towards the end!
I enjoyed The Sugar Queen so much that I definitely plan to read Sarah Addison Allen's other book Garden Spells.
The Sugar Queen is a quick read, but one that I have a feeling I'm going to want to return to.
Highly recommended.
With thanks to Stephanie at Stephanie's Written Word, who reviewed this book on June 17.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...