Sunday, July 5, 2009

Sookie vs Twilight



Welcome to my fellow reading challenge participants!

Because I don't write regular book reviews, I've decided to post again in regard to Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris, to share some more of my thoughts.

I prefer Sookie to Twilight. There, I've said it! (With apologies to my daughter, who is horrified at the thought of "those random, cape-wearing, fanged vampires". She likes the sparkly, gentlemanly ones better!) In fact, I think one of the main reasons that I like Sookie better is because I like the sensual, pleasure-seeking, only-out-at-night vampires in Sookie's world. To me, they're more compatible with vampire lore than Stephenie Meyer's creations.

I also really enjoyed the murder mystery aspect of Dead Until Dark. I enjoy an amateur detective as much as the next person, and love a page-turning thriller! As the body count rose, I really wanted Sookie to use her gift to solve the mystery.

There are some obvious similarities between the Twilight saga and Sookie. Vampires, mind-reading, shape-shifters...and that's just in the first book! While reading Twilight, I felt transported back to my teenage years, but Sookie I can enjoy just as I am!

I'm trying to visit everyone's posts and leave comments. With thanks to Beth at Beth Fish Reads for creating this challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...