Sunday, March 27, 2011

Texan Feast - Recipes and Photos - Part 2

Did you miss Part 1? Check it out here.

Ok, so now everyone's up to speed; a fabulous Texan dinner with the following menu:-

Appetizer
Crackers with Cream Cheese and Jalapeno Jelly

Main
Texas Chili...

So let's continue shall we?

I was worried that the kids would find the Texas Chili too spicy, so I cooked a "pretend chili" for them using mince simmered in Napoletana sauce. I served it with Fettucine. With kids, you can never go wrong with what was basically spaghetti bolognese.


To go with our Chili, I knew we needed something breadlike. The last time I cooked southern food I attempted Biscuits, and they didn't turn out too good, so this time I thought I'd take a crack at Corn Bread.

Luckily Dillypoo sent me this little gem:


Prize-winning recipes!

I chose "Jalapeno Corn Bread" which won Best of Show/Breads at the 1980 State Fair of Texas! I'm sure you can't get any more authentic than that!

Here are the ingredients:

1 cup cornmeal
(For Australians, that is Polenta. It's a little coarser than what Americans call cornmeal, but it's all we can get.)


2/3 cup buttermilk
(Everything Southern I've cooked so far requires buttermilk!)

2 eggs, slightly beaten

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp soda

1/3 cup melted shortening
(For Aussies - I used Copha which is vegetable shortening, and also happens to be an ingredient in that children's party favourite - Chocolate Crackles. That's a story for another time.)



4 oz green chilies, finely chopped
(I was a bit scared, so I just used one de-seeded chili.)



1 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese

1 cup cream-style corn


And now here's how you make the Corn Bread.

Mix all the ingredients, except for the cheese, in a bowl.



Pour half the batter in greased 9-inch pan. Spread cheese over batter.


Pour remaining batter on top of cheese.


Bake 30-40 minutes in 375 degree oven.
(190 celcius for the Aussies.)


Here it is straight out of the oven. You can see that I look pretty pleased with myself!



So here's our table with the Chili, Corn Bread and Green Salad.



Yum!!!

Now I'm sure you're wondering, what about dessert? Dillypoo also sent my some Praline Pecans. I decided to keep it simple and serve vanilla icecream over which we could sprinkle some of the pecans that I chopped up. I also served some pecans in a little bowl for us to nibble on with our coffee.




Yum!!!

I am so pleased and happy with how the meal turned out! Love and hugs to my sweet friend Dillypoo. And there was still MORE stuff in the box she sent me, but I will have to tell you about that another day!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...