Tuesday, June 30, 2009

What I'm Reading and Other Assorted Stuff

Currently reading: The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen.

You will notice that this book appears on my "Must Read" list on the right hand sidebar of the page, along with a link to the review that inspired me to try it. When I'm finished I intend to write my own review.
So far, I'm really enjoying it. It's had a lot to live up to, reading it as I am directly after Dead Until Dawn by Charlaine Harris. A hard act to follow! It is quite different to Dead Until Dawn, its similarities being the magical elements and the lonely heroine.
Here's a quick snapshot that will warm the heart of any book-loving girl:
"She couldn't believe this was happening. She'd just kicked Jake out after he'd admitted he'd cheated on her.
Dazed, she turned around...and tripped over a book on the floor.
She looked down at it and sighed. She'd half expected this. Whether she liked it or not, books always appeared when she needed them."
Cool, huh?
On the "To Be Read" pile: the host by Stephenie Meyer
This was ready to pick up from my local library on Monday. Again, this is one of the books on my "Must Read" list. You can check out the link to read the review that convinced me to give this a go.
On reserve at my local library: Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris
I can't wait for this one to become available! Dead Until Dark was such rollicking good fun that I'm hanging out to get my teeth into the next instalment!
So...now onto the other assorted stuff...
Alana (my 11 year old daughter) has just been offered a place at a prestigous selective high school for next year. It's a great opportunity for her, but she's not so sure that she wants to accept the place. At the moment a high school is being built within our very own suburb, only a 20 minute walk away from home. It's due to open for the start of next year, and all Alana's friends are looking forward to going there together. They will be the first group from her primary school that will be able to stay together and go to their very own high school, instead of splitting up and travelling to schools further afield. It makes it a tough decision for Alana. Wish us luck!
My last uni assignment for this semester is "in the mail" as they say. After my disastrous result last time, I'm just going to be super happy to pass!
I'm trying to find a vacancy at a caravan park for my family to take a week away over the Christmas/New Year break. Everything is already booked solid! I'll keep trying...
I bought my sister a copy of the Lost in Austen 2 disc DVD for her birthday. I'm very much hoping we can watch it together sometime, then I can count it towards the Everything Austen challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...