Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Do you read electronic books?

I've recently joined NetGalley. Publishers can share their digital galleys with professional readers (yes, I'm loving this title for what I do!) who can request galleys that they want to review.

I found out about NetGalley via Twitter, which really is an awesome source of all sorts of information. The first galley that I requested was Daughters of the Witching Hill by Mary Sharratt (published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt). Within 24 hours of my request, an advance reading copy (ARC) was available for me to download.

Because I don't have a portable ereader of any kind, I have to read the ARC on my computer using Adobe Digital Editions. It's great that I have the opportunity to read this, and it's wonderful that Digital Editions means that I can, but I've got to say, it's not the best. When I read a novel, it's recreation for me. When I sit at a desk and read the computer screen, it's work. So I'm having trouble enjoying the book the way I would be if it actually was a book. I can't just pick it up and put it down whenever I want to. And even though my computer is a laptop, so I can move it around and take it places, it's a pretty big, heavy laptop, and I can't really curl up with it.

So, do you read electronic books? Do you have a Kindle, or iPhone or iPad? How does the experience compare with an actual book?

I'd love to hear your thoughts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...