Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Sacredness of Questioning Everything

The Sacredness of Questioning Everything by David Dark.

Bought for myself.

*** "Deep and meaningful."





From the back cover: "Is Your God Big Enough to Be Questioned? The freedom to question is an indispensible and sacred practice that is absolutely vital to the health of our communities. According to author David Dark, when religion won't tolerate questions, objections, or differences of opinion, and when it only brings to the table threats of excommunication, violence, and hellfire, it obstructs our ability to think, empathise, and live lives of authenticity and genuine engagement..."

This is a book for Christians. It encourages questioning and deep thought, but from within a Biblical world view.

I'm going to have to re-read this book at some future time. It was quite dense and definitely not a light read. There was so much substance to the book that I don't think I took it all in the first time around.

The book begins with a compelling image of what "God" means to some people, the idea of a fearsome, distant judge who requires praise from people in order to be happy with them. I could really relate to this image, and to the sense that this image must be inherently wrong. I commend Dark's efforts to encourage Christians to examine their beliefs and move toward a more authentic understanding of God. This will be very challenging to Christians wanting to think deeply about what it means to truly engage their faith.

I didn't find this book compelling all the way through. I simply found it a bit too wordy, I think some of the power of Dark's ideas was lost to me. But I will try again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...