Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Twitter Trio (5) (With Hot Guys!!!)

1. Goodreads

I inadvertently joined Goodreads this week :)

A couple of weeks ago I posted about joining LibraryThing (read post here). LibraryThing is an online cataloguing tool for your books. I signed up, and started adding books to "my library". I got a cool widget for my blog (look at the right sidebar), and if you click on any of the book covers a popup will give you the catalogue record for the book and my rating and review if I have written one. I've been pretty happy using LibraryThing except for one thing - LibraryThing is billed as a social networking site, but I'm not feeling very social about it. There is an option for adding friends, and you can visit other members' profiles to leave comments, but it's not really working for me.

On the other hand, Goodreads is connected to Twitter. I followed a link in a tweet about a book, Goodreads asked me to sign in to Twitter to allow it to connect, and hey presto (!) I was signed up with a Goodreads account. At first I was a bit annoyed; I felt that Twitter had hijacked me a bit a-la-Facebook. But very quickly I had 15 new friends and was receiving updates about what they were reading and I was feeling the love! So far I've only added one book, Stranger Here Below by Joyce Hinnefeld, which is my current read. But for social networking, it seems that Goodreads has got it all over LibraryThing.


Now here's a blog that's got it all for the discerning, book-reading gal!

A sample:



Now, not everyone's idea of "hot" is the same, but I think if you check out this blog you'll find that there's something for everyone :)

3. Online Tools

I've tagged a million-and-one webpages "TBR" (to be read) since starting to use Twitter. I mark them, then when I've got some time I go back and look through them in more detail to decide whether or not they are "keepers".

Here are some online tools that I have tagged to check out later. If you use them, please leave me a comment to let me know if they're good!

Pho.to "Enhance, share, and have fun with your photos for free."

Producteev "Task management that works the way you do."

Veezzle "Free stock photos."

Aviary "Photo-editing, logos, web templates ...and more. Music creator, screen capture..."

I hope that this post has introduced you to something new. The Twitter Trio is a weekly feature on my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...