Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner

the short second life of bree tanner by Stephenie Meyer.

Read as e-book for free at http://ld-breetannerbook.libredigital.com/index.html

*** "For fans"





The blurb: "Fans of The Twilight Saga will be enthralled by this riveting story of Bree Tanner, a character first introduced in Eclipse, and the newborn vampire world she inhabits. In another irresistable combination of danger. mystery, and romance, Stephenie Meyer tells the devastating story of Bree and the newborn army as they prepare to close in on Bella Swan and the Cullens, following their encounter to its unforgettable conclusion."

If you don't already love Twilight, then this book isn't for you.

First, a word about the structure of the writing; Meyer doesn't use chapters, the story just flows along from page to page from beginning to end. I found this a little frustrating. I didn't have the opportunity to read it all in one go, and it was hard to find a place to stop, and then hard to get back into it later. I guess if I had bought a copy of the book, I just would have used a bookmark LOL, but the free online version does not allow saving, printing, or bookmarking :( Well fair enough, you get what you pay for!

So, on to the actual story. Did I enjoy reading some of the events of Eclipse from a different perspective? Yes. Did I enjoy the fact that Meyer used this book as an opportunity to expand on her version of Vampire mythology? Yes. Did I find Bree Tanner a sympathetic and engaging character? Yes. But was I "enralled"? Did I find it "riveting", "irresistable", or "unforgettable"? No.

Now this might seem a bit harsh, but to me this book seemed like Meyer, so enamoured by the world she had created, decided that she couldn't leave it behind and needed to explore it more. So she had a play, and this is what came out. And the publishing company published it more because they knew they could sell it, than because it was an excellent book. Mean, aren't I?

I also felt that Meyer did her usual trick of allowing the story to unfold slowly, then suddenly wrap it all up at the end.

I won't be rushing out to buy a copy to add to my Twilight collection, but I did enjoy it. You can still read it for free online until July 5th.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...