Monday, May 24, 2010

TTT - Healthy Habits

Photobucket
what habit of yours would you

most like to break?

Hmmmm...this is a hard one. I don't smoke, or swear, or bite my fingernails! I think, for me, the issue is really making new healthy new habits, rather than breaking old unhealthy ones.

I've already got two healthy habits that I'm really pleased with. The first is practising Tai Chi.

I began attending classes at the beginning of 2008, and immediately enjoyed it. After a term of introductory Shibashi lessons, I moved on to learning Levels 1-6 of Tai Chi.


Now that I've "graduated" from these classes, I attend Tai Chi Club every Wednesday. I also try to set aside 30 mins each day to practise. I find that when I do, it helps me remember to breathe, and makes me feel connected to the world around me. Tai Chi is good for wellbeing and relaxation and helps with lymphatic circulation, which is great for people like me who suffer from lymphodema.

My second "healthy habit" is journalling. No, I don't mean what I do here on my blog! I keep a notebook beside my bed, and in the morning or the evening I take some time to unload any worries or issues that are troubling me. It's an opportunity to practise positive self-talk and to work out what I really think and feel about things. I swear by it as a way to work through my problems.

So, what healthy habits would I like to add to my life? Well lately I've heard a bit about the idea that it's healthy to take about 10000 steps a day. I recently bought a pedometer, and I'm getting to know how many steps I take in a normal day so I can work out how I can increase them to meet my goal of 10000. Yesterday I hit around 5600 just doing housework at home, but today I'm only up to 2803, so I've got a way to go! I think I'm going to have to introduce going for an actual walk into my daily routine! Wish me luck!

If you'd like to join in the discussion, click on the button above which will take you to Shannon's NutHouse where she hosts Table Topics Tuesdays every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...