Thursday, February 10, 2011

I am a Weight Watcher!



Cue the applause...

I've joined the club. Now I'm one of the cool kids who's tracking. I can discuss the point value of foods.

Next Friday I'll have some stats to report, for now I'll just share some random thoughts about my first few days "on the program".

Firstly, this week has been an emotional rollercoaster. Can it be attributed to starting Weight Watchers, or should I blame the heady combination of PMS and a summer cold? Who knows. All I know is that despite the support and good wishes of lots of friends who are encouraging me, I haven't exactly been riding high on the wave of goodwill.

Secondly, though Weight Watchers is a proven successful program that is flexible to personal needs and is relatively inexpensive; it's not free. I'll have to find some extra money in my budget so that I can continue on past the free 14 day trial period.

I'll be honest with you. It bugs me when people say things like "It's only a dollar a day" or "Your health is so worth it!" I'm sure they mean well but they probably just don't understand that every dollar we earn goes right back out again. Perhaps we could change our priorities and make different decisions about money but believe me, we don't throw it away. We spend it on gymnastics fees and school books and orthodontists. I'm currently 6 weeks overdue for my haircut and colour because I've had too many back to school expenses. My swimsuit has gone all thin and over-stretched, but I can't afford a new one at the moment.

Sorry to overshare. Moving on...
 
Chris has been supportive and helpful and is counting his points too. We've discovered that our biggest problem is the evening meal. The sorts of things that we normally cook are 15 or 16 points per serve which only leaves me 13 or 14 points for the rest of the day. My favourite coffee comes in at 5 points, so I'm sure you can guess that I've been struggling to use my remaining points wisely during the day. I've also been working on fitting in a glass of wine with dinner some nights. 


Finally, thank God fruit and vegetables are zero points!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...