Saturday, February 5, 2011

Reading Corner

Though reading and books has taken a back seat on this blog for a while, it certainly hasn't in my life.

My current read is Suddenly by Barbara Delinsky.


I can probably seem a bit unpredictable in my choice of books. I don't limit myself to particular genres, I like non-fiction just as much as fiction, and I'm not always reading the latest release that's getting all the buzz.

There's a simple explanation for the books that I choose - I rely heavily on my local public library for my reading material.

I don't have a lot of disposable income, so I only buy books when I believe that they will be read over and over and will pay for themselves. For special occasions like my birthday or Christmas I might be fortunate to receive a new release that I've had my eye on.

I have friends who buy more books than I do and who are generous enough to lend them to me, but the vast majority of the books I read are borrowed from my library. For this reason, I am limited by the library collection. Sometimes I use the online catalogue and get books put on hold for me, but other days I simply wander up and down the aisles in the branch and see what takes my fancy.

The synopsis of Suddenly appealed to me.

"In the idyllic small town of Tucker, Vermont, life flows at a rhythmic pace for thirty-nine-year-old pediatrician Paige Pfeiffer. But when Mara O'Neill, Paige's best friend and medical partner, inexplicably commits suicide, Paige's comfortable world is shattered. Temporarily caring for Mara's newly adopted baby daughter while she comes to grips with her grief, Paige clings to the hope that, in time, she'll understand Mara chose to end her life, and Paige's own orderly life will return..."

I'd never heard of Barbara Delinsky before, but I can see that she is a successful author that has written many books from the extensive "also by" list in the front of the book. Suddenly was first published in 1993, so it's not exactly new. I'm about half way through, and though I am enjoying it, it seems to be following the predictable path of romances featuring capable modern women who meet infuriating yet attractive men and must learn to make space in their busy professional life for love. So while it's a nice relaxing read, I don't think that I'll be raving about it.

In contrast, I recently finished Linger by Maggie Stiefvater. Which was brilliant!



I love, love, love this book!

Linger is the sequel to Shiver, and ever since I read that one I have been dying to read the next. I don't want to spoil anything about these books for you if you haven't read them, so I won't reveal too much here.

Linger, just like Shiver, is about love. It is heartbreaking, uplifting, devastating and beautiful. Stiefvater creates a fantasy inhabited by characters that are intensely human and real.

You must read these books!

{Now in case you're wondering why I don't have piles of arcs from publishers to read, it's because my blog doesn't have a lot of followers. I have not yet reached the point of being an attractive prospect for publishers to send arcs to for review. Also, my blog doesn't focus entirely on books and there are so many fabulous book review blogs out there. I like to blog about all sorts of things, and I'm not going to change my blog just so that I can get free books, tempting as it might be! A while ago I signed up with an online source of electronic arcs. I have read and reviewed a few, but I just don't enjoy reading on my laptop instead of reading a book. Perhaps if I had an e-Reader I would enjoy reading on the screen more. While I read tons of blogs on the screen, not to mention countless articles, Twitter and Facebook, when I settle down to read for pleasure, it's a book I want to hold in my hand.}  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...