Monday, September 28, 2009

Dead as a Doornail by Charlaine Harris



This is the cover art for the copy of Dead as a Doornail by Charlaine Harris that I borrowed from my local library. Not the True Blood cover art, and not the other illustrations that I love so much. I don't like this version at all, I don't think it fits with the feel of the books.

Anyway, what about what's inside the cover?

From the back of the book:

"Sookie Stackhouse enjoys her life, mostly. She's a great cocktail waitress in a fun bar; she has a love life, albeit as complicated as ever, and most people have come to terms with her telepathy.

Problem is, Sookie wants a quiet life, but things just seem to happen to her and her friends.

Now her brother Jason's aout to turn into a were-panther for the first time. She could deal with that, but her normal sisterly concern turns to cold fear when a sniper sets his deadly sights on the local were population..."

Yes, it's another action-packed instalment in the adventures of Sookie Stackhouse and friends! As usual, there is murder and mayhem, supernatural creatures, and Sookie's lovelife is never simple.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, I love Sookie's "voice" in these books. Here's a sample:

"Claudine smiled impishly. "I was spending the night with Sookie," she said, winking. In a second, we were the objects of fascinated scrutiny from every male within hearing..."

I enjoyed the fact that Harris slows down for a moment, in this book, to explain a little more about the ins and outs of the shape-shifter and were societies. And unlike some other reviewers, I don't mind the fact that Sookie is swamped with admirers at every turn! Sadly, Sookie doesn't get lucky in this instalment, though she does make a start with someone she has yet to "do the deed" with!

For me, these sort of books are what I call "comfort reading". When we're feeling a bit down, some of us break out the ice-cream, some run a hot bath, and some reach for a Sookie Stackhouse book. (And some do all three!)

Now I'm off to the library to pick up Definitely Dead!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...