Monday, September 14, 2009

Dead to the World



I have just finished reading Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris, the fourth book in the Southern Vampires series, and my fourth book for the Sookie Stackhouse Reading Challenge hosted by Beth Fish Reads.

I have enjoyed all the books, but so far this one is my favourite! Warning - SPOILERS!

From the back of the book:

"...when she comes across a naked vampire on the way home from work, she doesn't just drive on by. He hasn't got a clue who he is, but Sookie has: Eric looks just as scary and sexy - and dead - as the day she met him. But now he has amnesia, he's sweet, vulnerable, and in need of Sookie's help - because whoever took his memory now wants his life..."

Now I was the first to applaud when Sookie took a vow of abstinence (from vampires) at the end of Club Dead. I cheered her on for deciding to put her own health and safety first for a change. But all along I knew neither she or I could last for long without a little vampire action in her life! Cue Eric, all scared and sweet and in need of a little TLC...

What I love about this book:

Good old Sookie - gotta love her! She's too responsible and helpful for her own good, always ending up in the thick of any trouble that's going around.

Shapeshifters and vampires working together...just like Twilight, but different!

URST. Now bear with me here. I am a strong believer in the concept that for any long-standing series to endure, there must be URST (un-resolved sexual tension) between two main characters. Right back to the days of Remington Steele (loved that show!), I have watched and enjoyed TV series in which I sooooo wanted the two main characters to get together. (Think Bones). The same thing applies in a book series. Now those of you who have read Dead to the World may be wondering where the "un-resolved" part fits in here. But that's the beauty of the amnesia device used in this book. Because if the sexual tension is resolved, but you can't remember it, then it doesn't count!

What wasn't so good about this book:

The cheesy sex scenes. I think Charlaine Harris writes these with her tongue firmly in her cheek, but they're still a bit cringe-inducing.

Dead to the World is thoroughly enjoyable and highly recommended. I have the next book on reserve at the library!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...