Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Books I can't finish.

I've read posts on other blogs lamenting the inability to finish a particular book. And the debate on whether or not to force yourself to finish it, whether to write a negative review, or whether to follow Mum's advice and "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".

Lately I've been experiencing a bit of a reading slump; coming across no fewer than three books that I couldn't make it through. What's happened to me???

an Umbrian Love Story by Marlena de Blasi. Borrowed from my mother, who thought I might enjoy it.
Despite the fact that I couldn't finish this book, I don't think that it's terrible. Not at all. It's a lovingly written memoir, detailing life in country Italy through the eyes of an outsider.

de Blasi concentrates on the food, festivals, family life and architecture of the town of Orvieto, where she and her husband settle with the intention of buying a house and entertaining family and friends.

Sorry - I can't tell you how it all works out.


Capital Crimes by Faye and Jonathan Kellerman. Borrowed from my local public library.
I've read lots of books by both Kellermans in the past, and enjoyed them. What happened here?

This book is two long short stories, Nashville and Berkeley. I started with Berkeley, and couldn't get into it. So I flipped the book over, and tried Nashville, which I enjoyed. so I flipped again, tried Berkeley again, and still couldn't get into it.


The Enigma of Numbers by Lance Storm. Borrowed from my local public library.
I thought this book was a sure thing for me. I have a mathematics degree, I love "popular science" and am super interested in psychology, philosophy and human consciousness.

From the back of the book: "Quanlitative numbers are mysterious symbols, giving rise to puzzling patterns and uncanny coincidences. His journey takes us from Pythagoras, the ancient Creek mathematics and mystic, through philosophy, arcane religious symbolism and pre-science to the number archetype of the pshychologist C.G.Jung, which grounds this work."

It sounded good to me, but I just didn't find it readable. It was too dense, and too difficult for me.

So, that's my three failures. But never fear, I've got some more to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...