Sunday, June 28, 2009

Why we love Sookie...and other matters.



I have finished reading Dead Until Dawn by Charlaine Harris, the first in the "Southern Vampires" series. They are the books on which the HBO series True Blood was based, and I'm reading them as part of the Sookie Stackhouse Reading Challenge, hosted by Beth at Beth Fish Reads. Check out the details of the challenge here.

I loved it! I have already recommended it to my mother-in-law and sister-in-law, and had a fabulous chat about it with my hairdresser while she was colouring and cutting my hair today. She watched the first series of True Blood on TV. (I missed it because it was on quite late at night here in Australia and I need my sleep. I know, I could have recorded it to watch later, but I've given that up because the unwatched shows were piling up and I never got around to watching them.) We compared notes between the first book and the first series, found some differences, but essentially decided that they seemed to cover similar ground. She was very excited to hear that there are 8 more books in the series. "Ooooh, so there's still a lot more to it!" she crowed with glee.

My American friends will have to let me know if the second series follows the second book, and so on...

Today I'm going to write about why I think we all love Sookie so much.

1. She's special.

Stories in which the main character has a special gift or destiny always do well. I think we all like to imagine that underneath our ordinary exterior there lies unique magic that destines us to greatness! Think Harry Potter, Bella Swan...

2. She's been through hardship.

This makes her tougher in some ways. She's had to be tough to get through life. But it also makes her compassionate, and vulnerable.

3. She's good, but not perfect.

Sookie is a good person. She's helpful, honest, loyal and hardworking. But she's human, not perfect.

I'm looking forward to the official start of the challenge, so I can begin to read what others are writing about Sookie. Reading a good book can only be made better by talking about with others who have shared the experience!

In other news, I noticed today that the uni website has details of readings and assignments for second semester up already. So if I wanted to, I could get started on the work...oh goody...not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...